We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Among vegetable crops, onions are in great demand: they are added to vegetable dishes, preparations and salads. Among its types, the Hercules onion stands out, which is distinguished by its useful taste.
Description and characteristics
Hercules was brought out by breeders from Holland. Since then, time has passed, and the vegetable has gained fame and popularity. It is considered a medium early plant with a growing season of up to 80 days.
The Hercules onion has a height of about 40 cm. It belongs to the yellow variety. The bulb is large, the bulk is 160 grams. It has dense scales in 4 layers, the neck is medium in size.
The vegetable is sweetish in taste, with a small spice, but without bitterness. What's interesting: even after cooking, it does not lose its piquant aftertaste.
Hercules is considered a biennial plant. First, they sow seeds, get small onion sets. The next year, a large onion is already ripening.
Food has one distinguishing characteristic - high yield. Up to 8 kg of onions can be harvested from one square meter.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of the variety?
Hercules was not in vain bred by breeders, it is considered the standard for other types of onions.
This vegetable crop has a number of advantages:
- It differs from most varieties in that it is well stored. The main thing is to remove it in time, wait until it is fully ripe, and then dry it in the sun. It is also attractive that during long-term storage Hercules retains its nutritional value and taste.
- Hercules is characterized by high productivity.
- Any housewife will like the taste of the vegetable, its juiciness, even after long storage.
- Onions are practically not susceptible to diseases, they are not attacked by pests.
- It is easy to care for, there is no need to water often, as Hercules has a powerful root system that protects against drought.
However, the vegetable has two disadvantages:
- Sevok Hercules is expensive.
- Since it is a hybrid, it is impossible to get the seeds on your own.
The peculiarity of onions is that the sets can be planted in late autumn or spring. For autumn planting, small bulbs are used, which then over the summer catch up with large plants planted in spring. A good harvest is obtained from this seed.
A feature of planting before winter is that the bow will not give arrows, especially since there is no need for this, since seeds are not collected from hybrids.
In the spring, they try to plant bulbs the size of a hazelnut or larger. You need to choose the right time, which falls on the end of April and the beginning of May. It is important that the earth warms up to 10 ° C, since the onion variety is classified as a thermophilic plant.
The landing of Hercules is based on the following recommendations:
- Prepare the beds. For this, it is better to choose a sunny place. Dig up well, add some compost and mineral fertilizers.
- To grow large bulbs, you should draw furrows in the garden bed, at a distance of 25-30 cm from each other.
- The plant should be planted to a depth of 5 cm, the distance between the bulbs should be about 10 cm.
After planting, time will pass and the onion will begin to grow roots, and only then will green feathers appear.
After the appearance of green tops, it is recommended to ensure that the soil between the rows is loose and free of weeds. To facilitate the care of onions, it is advisable to mulch the soil with straw or sawdust. This will protect the plants from weeds.
It is important to remember about top dressing: it is best to use complex mineral fertilizers.
To accelerate the cultivation and ripening of the bulbs in August, it is necessary to open the heads, slightly raking off the soil to half the bulb. This will allow them to be better ventilated and the sun's rays will reach them.
Harvest on a dry and sunny day.
It is advisable to remove it before it rains. It is recommended to dig a little onion with a shovel, remove it from the soil and spread it in rows on the ground or cardboard.
The onions will need to dry for several days. As soon as it dries, you need to remove dry leaves and dry roots.
Store in a dry place at room temperature.
Everyone who planted the Hercules onion variety writes in reviews that the description of the characteristics and merits of the vegetable is true. Farmers are especially satisfied, because the vegetable requires almost no maintenance, even watering it is often unnecessary. The harvest is large, due to the fact that the bulbs grow in large sizes.
Most gardeners are pleased with the fact that it is stored for a long time, does not deteriorate, especially if it is dried and the onions are ripe.
Most often, onions are enough until the next harvest.
If you manage to purchase a Hercules onion set and follow the recommendations for growing, then you can get a large harvest. As a result, you don't have to think about vitamins in winter.