We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Growing an Indoor at home, feeding her is not difficult, provided a competent approach. In addition to unpretentious care, birds are distinguished by high productive qualities and excellent taste. This explains the growing popularity of Indo-girls. Poultry farmers also appreciate the increased viability of young animals, which, under comfortable conditions, is at least 95%.
General description of Indo-girls
Female with ducklings
Indo-ducks (muscovy ducks) are a special breed of domestic waterfowl that are ideal for breeding and keeping. Their appearance differs from the appearance of an ordinary duck, since the body of an Indo-duck has a wide, elongated shape. The fleshy outgrowth is similar to that seen in turkey. The taste of the meat is high. In the musk duck, it is less fatty, due to which it is considered dietary. This is the reason for the desire of many farmers to keep birds.
The name comes from a certain body fat that appears on the head of birds with age. It gives off a musky smell. The plumage is tough, so the Indo-girls have not forgotten how to fly, which should be taken into account when arranging a poultry house. Another characteristic feature of musk ducks is the ability to make sounds that resemble soft hiss. It is impossible to hear loud sounds from them, because birds do not like to attract too much attention to themselves.
You can distinguish a female from a male only by the presence of fatty sacs in the last beak and a small tuft on the top of the head. The weight of a drake reaches 6 kg, a female - 3 kg. At an early age, sexual dimorphism in birds is poorly expressed.
Varieties of birds
Black musk duck
There are many varieties of muscovy ducks, but the following breeds are more suitable for breeding at home:
- black - the feathers of the bird are completely black, they shine green in the sun, there are small white specks on the neck;
- black and white - only the back and eyes are black, and the breast is white, while the bird's beak is red, with slight pigmentation;
- white - the color is considered rare, and such birds cannot be found in their natural habitat;
- white with specks - Indo-girls wear white plumage with a small black pattern, which forms a beautiful pattern;
- the white-brown breed is almost a decorative species of birds, since it has a coffee shade of plumage with a chocolate color at the tail;
- blue - has a gray-blue color, with a dark edging on the flight feathers.
Indo-female red bull
Now interspecific crossing is being practiced to obtain new hybrid breeds, while various colors are also being formed. To obtain a productive livestock of Indo-Ducks, it is recommended to purchase chicks from a reliable breeder.
Advantages and disadvantages
For those who are just planning to start breeding muscovy ducks, you should learn in detail about the benefits of these birds:
- chicks and juveniles show good survival rates;
- high performance qualities;
- unpretentiousness to feed;
- quickly get used to the owner and their territory;
- good taste of eggs and meat;
- rapid growth and weight gain;
- balanced disposition and high maternal instinct.
By nature, these birds are given a strong immune system, which is why they have a high survival rate, are resistant to infections and are unpretentious in keeping. An ordinary courtyard, small in size, is suitable for them, where, instead of a reservoir, you can put a trough in which they will swim, drink and train the ducklings.
In the hot season, muscovy ducks are able to get their own food, feeding on fresh herbs and various insects. They are not aggressive towards relatives and do not arrange squabbles. Therefore, they can be grown even in a small area - the birds will not cause inconvenience to neighbors.
Duck meat is considered dietary because it has a low fat content. In addition, it lacks the characteristic taste that is inherent in many waterfowl.
Eggs are high in protein, magnesium and potassium, and folate. The product is useful for children, athletes and pregnant women. Egg weight - about 70-80 g. The color of the yolk is rich, close to orange.
Among the shortcomings, only one is noted - Indo-women do not tolerate high humidity, therefore it is difficult to raise birds in a humid climatic zone.
Maintenance and care rules for beginners
A poultry farmer who is going to start breeding Indooks from scratch should have an idea of the basic rules of care:
- careful observance of the temperature regime is not required - these birds are resistant even to its sharp fluctuations;
- the walls of the poultry house should be annually treated with a solution of slaked lime, once a week a full cleaning is required with the use of disinfectants and subsequent processing of the inventory;
- drinking bowls and feeders should be cleaned daily, as well as changing the water in a container intended for bathing;
- a simple ventilation system is needed in the house to prevent excessive humidity and musty air that birds cannot tolerate;
- the walking area must be regularly cleaned of debris, stones, debris, nails, otherwise the bird may injure the goiter or pierce the paw with a sharp object;
- the remains of feed are removed in a timely manner;
- in the poultry house, it is important to immediately equip several separate nests so that each female can only take care of her babies;
- it is necessary to release the birds for the morning exercise after 10 o'clock in the morning, so that the females have time to lay eggs;
- birds' wings are regularly trimmed to prevent them from flying over the hedge.
Muscovy duck in the nest
The poultry farmer will receive more detailed knowledge in the process of breeding and keeping.
Feeding and slaughtering adult birds
Poultry breeders noted the omnivorous nature of birds. It will not be difficult to feed them. You need to feed muscovy ducks with a balanced diet. It is advisable to purchase compound feed or prepare it yourself. The basis of the diet is corn, barley, oats and wheat, mixed in equal proportions. To this mixture you need to add lupine, peas, vitamin components. One tenth of the daily diet, as a rule, is green mass.
You need to replenish the feeders three times a day. This is the only way to grow a herd healthy and productive. In winter, it is necessary to add grass flour, consisting of legumes, to the diet, as well as silage.
You should pay attention to the behavior of birds - it will always tell you if they are missing something. If ducks pluck their feathers, then most likely they have an acute shortage of mineral supplements. As an addition, you can use crushed eggshells, chalk, coarse sand or shells, which must be mixed into the feed. Table salt is also beneficial, but should be given in small doses.
You can only get the benefits of meat with the right slaughter time. Indoor women are developing rapidly. They are classified as early ripening. Already at the age of 3 months they are considered mature. It is during this period that the meat is most tender and has a delicate taste and aroma. At a later time, the duck begins to lay and the meat loses its taste.
Birds breed well. Breeding several families of ducks is considered beneficial. One family should consist of a drake and 3-5 females. Indo-ducks can be mated with other breeds, but the offspring will have reduced reproductive qualities.
Birds mate in early spring. At this time, their fertility is several times higher than in summer. Already at the end of March, the female starts laying eggs. If it is necessary to shift the terms, then the conditions are created for the Indo-women by increasing the daylight hours with lamps. When at least 15 eggs appear in the nest, the female begins to nest. She can lay eggs from a nearby nest.
Ducklings appear on the 35th day. They should be taken from the hen, transferred under a special lamp. At one day of age, when they are completely dry, they are returned to the parent.
Frequent diseases and methods of their treatment
Despite the strong immunity, muscovy ducks can be susceptible to diseases if they are kept and fed incorrectly. More common among birds are:
- salmonellosis or paratyphoid fever;
- viral hepatitis.
Infectious diseases are dangerous because they are transmitted from one bird to another. Some types of infection will cause ducks to die a couple of hours after infection. A number of diseases are dangerous for humans, especially people with a weakened immune system, the elderly, children, and pregnant women. The birds are treated with antibiotics prescribed by a veterinarian. The preparations are mixed into the feed mixtures. Patients are then separated from the herd.